Lucky Dube is no more! The need for the South African government to stop the crime wave now!
Very sad news coming from the Republic of South Africa, Africa's number one economy.Lucky Dube, the celebrated reggae star is no more!He was shot dead in the Rosettenville Suburb of Johannesburg at about 8.20pm on Thursday, 18 October 2007.
Through his music, Dube helped in sensitizing the world about the hardships faced by black people in South Africa during the days of apartheid.Very sad indeed to note that the freedom that he firmly campaigned for has created "other freedoms" i.e.crime, abortion,same sex marriages, one of which (crime) has eventually led to his own demise.This just confirms that South Africa is not a safe place to stay, whether you are well-known or not.This is sending out wrong signals to the world as the country prepares to host the 2010 FIFA World Cup.In reaction, President Thabo Mbeki made an appeal to South Africans to confront the scourge of crime together.As he was leaving for France to support the Springboks in the World Cup final, he said
Through his music, Dube helped in sensitizing the world about the hardships faced by black people in South Africa during the days of apartheid.Very sad indeed to note that the freedom that he firmly campaigned for has created "other freedoms" i.e.crime, abortion,same sex marriages, one of which (crime) has eventually led to his own demise.This just confirms that South Africa is not a safe place to stay, whether you are well-known or not.This is sending out wrong signals to the world as the country prepares to host the 2010 FIFA World Cup.In reaction, President Thabo Mbeki made an appeal to South Africans to confront the scourge of crime together.As he was leaving for France to support the Springboks in the World Cup final, he said
This is indeed very, very sad that this happened to an outstanding South African -- an outstanding musician, world renowned. Even as we prepare to celebrate the victory of the Springboks, we must also grieve the death of an outstanding South African and indeed make a commitment that we shall continue to act together as a people to confront this terrible scourge of crime, which has taken the lives of too many of our people -- and does so every day. Perhaps when we bring back the cup that will also be a salute to a fellow artist -- as the Springboks are artists -- to the life of a really great South African artist, Lucky Dube.What will that cup do to Dube's family for the loss of their beloved son, brother, father, bread winner etc.? The President should have made a better speech in line with magnitude of this tragedy.On the overall, the President, as a number one citizen, must accept that violent crime in South Africa is out of control, and that government's remedies to address this scourge have failed so far. The government must seriously start looking at new ways in its fight against crime. The Police force must be revamped. Relieve the current Police bosses of their duties. Bring in some new people who may come in with new ideas!
Labels: crime, Lucky Dube, murder, president, South Africa, Thabo Mbeki
5 Comments:
South Africa has the best trained and equipped police and military force than any other country on the African continent but they are failing and have failed in confronting and stopping gangs and crimes in South Africa. But I am laying the blame so on the South Africans themselves, because these culprits who are doing these crazy things, stealing, robbing, and killing each other, are blacks themselves; blacks vs. blacks, which is crazy, that thing must be stopped, period.
Well said Sir. I agree with the earlier commentary as well. Keep us well informed
The 2010 world cup in South Africa is going to be awesome. Im a soccer lover. Its going to bring South Africa together and solve their problems, the world game always does this. Just look at Iraq winning the Asian Cup, and it brought joy to their country.
Simon, the South African government is the one to blame.They must stop these criminals now!
cricket video, you miss the point here.Iraq's victory took place in far way country. No country can allow their players to go and play in Iraq as of now. You see sometimes even Israel and Palestine have to use a different country for their home matches. Simply put, if thugs can kill Lucky Dube, an international icon, like this, it will be difficult for the country to stop them (the thugs) from killing some of the people who will come to Mnzansi for the World Cup. As an African, I do not want the World Cup to be taken away from RSA but I want the RSA governement to crackdown the crime wave to make RSA a better place for everyone including the hosting of the Football World Cup.
Post a Comment
<< Home